The splash image is the image shown in the background when GRUB (the GRand Unified Bootloader) is displaying the list of operating systems you can boot.
- Start the GIMP.
- Click on File->New or type Ctrl+N
- In the new image dialog, change Width to 640 pixels and Height to 480 pixels. (The image should be of size 640x480 pixels.) Now click OK.
- Create the image which you would like to be the splash image. It's quite fun to experiment with the various tools of the GIMP!
- After you have finished creating the image, hit Alt+i or right click on the image and click on Image->Mode->Indexed...
- In the Indexed Color Conversion dialog that appears, click on the radio button "Generate optimal Palette" and in "# of colors" enter 14. Click OK.(The image should be of only 14 colors)
- Now right-click on the image and click on File->Save As...Save the file as ImageName.xpm in a directory of your choice.
convert -resize 640x480 -colors 14 picture.jpg ImageName.xpm
Installing the Image
- gzip ImageName.xpm
- mount /boot
- mv ImageName.xpm.gz /boot/grub/
# Splash Image
Now you just need to reboot !!
Here is my boot splash screen: I just added my name and Gentoo logo :
This is converted to jpeg. As blogger doesn't support xpm images.
And some others :Some splash images
For LILO you can refer to Lilo Boot splash